Position Announcement: Contract-based Lecturer
The English Language Center, Tunghai University
The English Language Center of Tunghai University invites experienced, qualified candidates for two full-time contract-based faculty positions, at the rank of Lecturer. The appointment will be in effect on August 1, 2021.
1. M.A. or Ph.D. in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, English Literature, or a related field;
2. Extensive experience in ESL/EFL teaching and administrative tasks;
3. Ability to teach courses in English to multiple levels of language learners;
4. Strong teaching, communication, and cross-cultural skills.
1. Experience teaching overseas, especially in Asia;
2. Experience with distance learning and online education;
3. Mandarin Chinese Language proficiency (able to converse and read).
1. Teach Freshman/Sophomore English and elective courses;
2. Teach 14 hours per week;
3. Complete assigned administrative tasks and English-learning activities;
4. Actively participate in committee work, program advancement, and professional development groups.
Salary and Benefits:
1. Salary: NT$58,135/month (before tax);
2. Basic Health Insurance: National Health Insurance Plan covering the employee and all dependents;
3. Taiwan’s Labor Insurance Plan;
5. Approximately 12 weeks paid vacation (Winter/Summer);
6. Annual Bonus: Equivalent of 1.5 month’s salary after a full year of service.
Foreign nationals are required to adhere to the travel requirements and entry regulations set forth by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), Taiwan. Due to rapid response safety measures surrounding the developing pandemic, it is imperative that candidates visit the CDC website regularly for in-time updates regarding entry restrictions and guidelines.
Foreign nationals are expected to comply with CDC entry requirements and should prepare accordingly by adjusting their application timeline and travel plans in order to arrive in Taiwan with enough time to quarantine prior to the start of the semester. Candidates are expected to organize this independently either before or upon arrival. Candidates should also be prepared to financially support themselves through the duration of quarantine. Current requirements are 14 days from the date of arrival with an additional 7 days restriction from entering campus or travelling where large crowds are expected.
Taiwan CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov.tw/en/Disease/SubIndex/
1. Personal Information Form (as Attachment 2 and send the digital file to email@example.com as well);
2. Cover Letter;
3. CV Form (as Attachment 3);
4. Photocopies of MA/Ph.D. diploma and transcript (Foreign diplomas need to be certified). If you haven’t received the MA/Ph.D. diploma yet, please provide official documentation of passing the thesis/dissertation oral defense;
5. A sample course syllabus for one of the courses you can offer;
6. A photocopy of the Lecturer’s Certificate issued by Taiwan Ministry of Education (M.O.E) if you have one;
7. Two letters of recommendation;
8. A 3 to 5-minute self-introductory video addressing the following:
1) your background information and experience;
2) how much you know about the English programs in the ELC and teaching in Taiwan, and;
3) how well your expertise, experience and teaching style would fit into the program.
Please ensure that the self-introductory video is sent to the English Language Center as a digital file or accessible weblink to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can either mail your application materials to:
Personnel Office, No. 1727, Sec. 4, Taiwan Boulevard, Xitun Dist., Taichung, 407224 Taiwan, R.O.C. (407224 台中市西屯區臺灣大道四段1727號 東海大學人事室收) and be postmarked no later than January 29, 2021.
Please write “Application for English Language Center Contract-Based Faculty” on the envelope.
Submit your application online: https://form2.thu.edu.tw/1488494
For further information, please contact Ms. Jenny Tseng via e-mail or by phone during office hours:
Office hours: 08:00-12:00 & 13:30-17:00 (Mon. – Fri.)
· Website: http://elc.thu.edu.tw
· E-mail: email@example.com
· Tel: +886-4-23590121 Ext. 31900
· Fax: +886-4-2359-0232
1. Print out all the materials in A4 size and staple in the upper left corner. No plastic binding or spiral binding.
2. A notice will be sent to shortlisted applicants for next reviews. Please provide an e-mail address and phone numbers where you can be reached.
3. If the information is incomplete, your application will not be accepted.
4. Application materials will not be returned. Please keep the original draft yourself.